|The Ends of the Earth|
Daichi no Hate
Clannad ~After Story~, Episode 18
Tomoya hugging Ushio in the flower field.
|Air date (Japan)||12 February 2009|
The Road Home
|List of Clannad ~After Story~ episodes|
The Ends of the Earth (大地の果て, Daichi no Hate) is the eighteenth episode of Clannad ~After Story~. It was first broadcast in Japan on 12 February 2009.
While on the trip, Tomoya buys a toy robot he picks out for Ushio to play with after they arrive in the countryside. The next day, after staying at an inn the previous night, Tomoya and Ushio take a walk through the area and come across a field of flowers. Ushio plays in the field as Tomoya watches, but Ushio soon loses the robot in the field; they try to look for it but to no avail. Remembering something from his past, Tomoya goes off to another area and meets his grandmother Shino Okazaki, his father's mother. She tells Tomoya how he came here with his father shortly after his mother died, and Shino tells Tomoya how his father worked very hard to support him over the years. Tomoya finally comes to terms with his father and realizes he is not a bad father. When they go back to the field where Ushio is, she still cannot find the robot and does not want to stop looking because it was the first thing her father ever gave her. Tomoya realizes his previous mistakes and vows to try his best for Ushio from now on, who is very happy at the prospect of being with her father. On the way home, Tomoya starts telling Ushio about Nagisa for the first time. While telling her about his late wife, Tomoya has flashbacks and soon remembers the image of her hand falling from his moments after Ushio was born, passing away immediately afterwards. He ends up with tears streaking his face and says her name twice. Ushio pulls on his shirt and he turns to face her, and after he noticed her crying he wiped her tears. He then went back to telling Ushio about Nagisa.
- Tomoya and Ushio begin their trip.
- Upon arrival, Tomoya experiences déjà vu and realizes he has been there.
- Tomoya meets his grandmother, Shino Okazaki.
- Shino reveals that the trip was planned by her and Sanae.
- Tomoya's mother name was mentioned for the first time.
- Shino explains what Tomoya's father went through to raise Tomoya.
- Tomoya realizes his father had sacrificed everything to properly raise him.
- Tomoya asks Ushio to stay with him; Ushio agrees.
- Tomoya apologizes to Ushio for being a bad father.
- Note: Characters denoted with an asterisk (*) debut in this episode.
- The field Ushio runs through is the same field she runs through during the opening credits of season 1.
- This is the only episode Ushio is shown crying since her birth.